Preliminary Examination of UPSC CSE
The UPSC Civil Services Exam consists of three stages: the preliminary examination, the main examination and the personal interview stage. The preliminary examination is the first stage of the UPSC Civil Services Exam.
The preliminary examination consists of two objective-type multiple choice papers: General Studies Paper I and General Studies Paper II. These papers are design to test the candidate’s aptitude, comprehension, and knowledge of current events and basic mathematics. The marks obtain in the preliminary examination are not includes in the final selection, but only serve as a screening test for the main examination.
General Studies Paper I consists of the following sections:
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography
- Indian Polity and Governance
- Economic and Social Development
- Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity, and Climate Change
- General Science
General Studies Paper II (also known as the Civil Services Aptitude Test or CSAT) tests the candidate’s knowledge of basic mathematics and mental ability. It consists of the following sections:
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level)
- Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc.) (Class X level)
The questions in both papers are designed to test the candidate’s general awareness, aptitude, and understanding of the concepts rather than their knowledge of specialized subjects. The questions are generally of a standard that an educated person is expected to know.
What is a prelims course for UPSC CSE?
A prelims course for the UPSC Civil Services Exam is a preparatory program or coaching class that helps candidates prepare for the preliminary examination of the UPSC Civil Services Exam. The course typically includes lectures, study materials, and mock tests to help candidates understand the exam pattern, syllabus, and important topics of the preliminary examination.
By enrolling in a prelims course, candidates can gain a better understanding of the preliminary examination and improve their chances of qualifying for the main examination.
Eden IAS’s crash course for Prelims 2023
Eden IAS is offering the best crash course for Prelims 2023, called the Mission Prelims. The prelims crash course is well known for its revision methods which help you revise the entire syllabus of Prelims, including General Studies, Current Affairs of past 1.5 years and CSAT, in the least possible time. This course is suited for those aspirants who need effective revision for UPSC Prelims 2023 Examination or those who have faced issues in covering the syllabus through their self-study. Students who have undertaken foundation courses from some other institute can also enroll for this course to revise in a prelims-oriented manner.
Features of this crash course are:-
- Complete coverage of Prelims syllabus in just 74 days.
- Conceptual classes held on a fast track manner, having average duration of 2 hours and covering two subjects simultaneously.
- Covering General Studies, CSAT and Current Affairs of the past 1.5 years.
- Special sessions on Mapping, Budget and Economic Survey.
- Making you solve more than 5000 MCQs to get you in problem solving mode.
- Special emphasis on NCERTs, basic books and Previous Year Question papers.
- Consisting sectional tests, full length subject tests, full length mock tests and All India Open mock tests.
- Doubt solving and mentorship sessions.
If you wish to ace the Prelims 2023 and qualify for writing the UPSC CSE Mains 2023, register and enroll for the Mission Prelims Course as soon as possible.
Read more about UPSC Prelims course and the benefits it offers